Saturday, January 16, 2010

I've had RSD for 20 plus years and have a pain pump is there any way else to control the pain w/out oral meds?

The disease has spread to both arms and legs I'd like to know of a way to keep my pain at a 5 or under without all the medsI've had RSD for 20 plus years and have a pain pump is there any way else to control the pain w/out oral meds?
I'm sorry for your situation. I've had CRPS/RSD since I was 14 and now have it in all four limbs. I am struggling to find a way to control my pain full stop, even with oral medications. I have a spinal cord stimulator, but it is no longer working properly and I am unwilling to go through yet more surgery to try to correct it. I also have a pump and take oral medications - Oxycontin (and Endone for breakthrough pain), Topamax and Mobic. I do weekly treatment with a physiotherapist - I have very severe dystonia in my feet and ankles, so most of my physio consists of gentle massage and stretching of the areas that aren't permanently contracted. I also do as much physio and desensitisation work on my own at home as I can do without flaring my pain levels. However none of it really works for me - my pain levels are a constant 8 or 9 and I can't remember the last time I had a decent rest, never mind sleep. The only think I have found some relief from is the extreme sensitivity to touch.





Icesk8er's suggestion of ketamine is a really good one. It was a major no-no for me - I had an allergic reation to it and it had to be stopped within minutes - but I know many people who've been helped by it. The hyperbaric oxygen one - who knows. I know several people who've tried it for CRPS-related ulcers and say that it does nothing at all for their pain. A few say that it makes their pain a lot worse, so I'd be wary of trying it.





The only other thing I can think of is asking your doctor whether s/he can alter the dose of drug in your pump and/or add additional drugs in and see if that can give you any relief.





All the best - I really hope that you find something.I've had RSD for 20 plus years and have a pain pump is there any way else to control the pain w/out oral meds?
What types of treatments have you tried? Have you tried anything like the keatmine or lidocaine infusions? I had the low dose ketamine infusion and I was put into full remission, and I have been in remission for about a year now. Have you tried anything like the hyperbaric oxygen therapy, physical therapy, or a spinal cord stimulator? Another thing that helped me to manage my pain was to work with a pain management psychologist. It really helped me in learning how to deal mentally with the pain so I didn't have to take as many pain meds. Good luck!
The doctor I work for is the top RSD doctor in the southeastern United States. He treats without narcotics at all. Check out our website-- piedmontpmr.com . You can even e-mail him thru the website. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment