Monday, January 18, 2010

Do you ever become dependent on proton pump inhibitors once you start taking it regularly to control ur reflux?

Especially if you suddenly stop taking PPI after taking it for a long time, does your stomach revert back to pumping out excess acid but at twice the rate as before you started the PPI? i was prescribed some protonix but i'm worried that once i start it, i won't be able to come off of it. but at this point, PPI seems to be the only option i got since none of the OTC antacids work for me? HELP?!?Do you ever become dependent on proton pump inhibitors once you start taking it regularly to control ur reflux?
Good morning Young2n3,





I've had GERD for years but never took Protonix. I've taken Prevacid but then my prescription carrier switched me to the less expensive (for them) Nexium which has been working just as well for me. I've also had several endoscopies over the years to check on my GERD situation.





I hope you tried the more common remedies (no caffeine, no alcohol, avoid acidic and spicy foods, raise the head of the bed, etc.,) first and you just weren't handed a prescription. Generally speaking OTCs are not generally effective on GERD if the lifestyle changes didn't help.





Since I'm not a doctor (I presume your doctor is a gastroenterologist鈥攊f not, ask for a referral from your primary physician) you should discuss your concerns with him/her first. The possibilities of esophageal cancer developing from untreated GERD are real. If the medication is required in your situation, the downside of whichever medication you're prescribed is better than the long range alternative. You may want to visit the information on http://www.webgerd.com/FAQ.htm .





Hope this helps.





JohnDo you ever become dependent on proton pump inhibitors once you start taking it regularly to control ur reflux?
Once you go off a PPI, you are worse off then before you ever took it. That is what the research says, but PPIs are prescribed anyhow. Unfortunately, all these type of medicines have either bad side effects or other problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment