Monday, January 18, 2010

Do you ever become dependent on proton pump inhibitors once you start taking it regularly to control ur reflux?

Especially if you suddenly stop taking PPI after taking it for a long time, does your stomach revert back to pumping out excess acid but at twice the rate as before you started the PPI? i was prescribed some protonix but i'm worried that once i start it, i won't be able to come off of it. but at this point, PPI seems to be the only option i got since none of the OTC antacids work for me? HELP?!?Do you ever become dependent on proton pump inhibitors once you start taking it regularly to control ur reflux?
Everyone I know who has been put on it for acid (GERD) has not been able to stop taking it including me. I have a digestive disorder and lost 70 pounds but still have to take medicine for heartburn (GERD). I lived on baby fruit for 18 months and still had to take it. If you can get by without it, don't get started on it. The Dr even removed my gallbladder and I still have to take medication for GERD. Have you tried Gaviscon? It is OTC but expensive. It works better than any other OTC antacid you can buy. Try it before you start Protonix.

No comments:

Post a Comment